Encoding the past (was: power)

From: Amara Graps (amara@amara.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 15:47:47 MDT

I wonder why people like to use photons most often to encode
the information from past to present ...?

Why not quarks? gravitons? tachyons ? :-)

Many highly encoded objects will suffice, even *dust* ...

Mitch:
>> 2nd reaction is: Can one generate information from the Past
>> Light Cone, or the Future, by the expenditure of energy?

Sarafino:
>I don't know. But something may happen.
>
> \ \*************/ / /
> \ \**********/ / /
> \ \********/ / /
> \ \*****/ / /
> \ \***/ / /
>\ \ \*/ / /
> \ \ / \ / /
> \ \ / \ / /
> \ / \ \ / /
> \ / \ \/ /
> \ / \ / \ /
> \ / \ / \/
> A B C
>
>A, B, C are space-like separated points.
>
>B can not send a message (information) to A, or to C.
>
>But B can send a message (information) to A U C [U=union].
>This does not lead to paradoxes. But A (alone) or C
>(alone) does not feel any change.

In the 'dust telescope' idea, that our Heidelberg dust group is promoting,
our dust detectors 'decode' information about the dust source's
origin, just as other telescopes decode information about the
electromagnetic wave's origin. Once detected, it's an inverse
problem to determine what processes brought that encoded object (dust)
to the detector. The particle wouldn't have reached the detector
unless its initial motion, material properties, the intervening plasma
and magnetic field held particular values. Slightly changing
any of these parameters gives drastically different dust dynamical
behavior (via the charge in the Lorentz force, which is, _by far_,
the dominant force acting on submicron circum/interplanetary and
interstellar dust particles), so then we know quickly about
where that object came from, and what is (in) the intervening medium.

Dust isn't only interesting to build planets, you see. The dusts'
dynamical behavior is a rich reflection of the particles origin.
The dust's reflection of conditions from its past is, in addition,
not the only form of 'its communication' -- the dust particles can alter
their environment by transferring charges, at the same time
(if within Debye length of other dust particles in the plasma).

Heh.. I printed, bound, and delivered final copies of my PhD dissertation
to the University of Heidelberg today. My acknowledgement of the 'engaging
extropian minds' in my thesis will forever be gathering dust on some old
libraries' bookshelves ..... AHHHHHCHOO!

The dust wakes out of its slumber and I follow its passage.

>From volcanoes on moons, through comet breezes,
Atop bookshelves in rooms, expelled by human sneezes,
>From disks of new stars into emerald-blue planets,
The dust is a piece of me, or am I a piece of dust?

We fly from the ecliptic brightness, feel comforted by the local fluff, and
drink a ceylon tea at the cosmic tea table with our friends from beta~Pic.
They don't laugh at my jokes, but I smile anyway.

Amara Lynn Graps

(a piece from some of my poetry that I wrote this last winter.
 It's in my thesis too!)

Amara Graps email: amara@amara.com
Computational Physics vita: finger agraps@shell5.ba.best.com
Multiplex Answers URL: http://www.amara.com/
"Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the
future of the human race." -- H. G. Wells