Re: vegetarianism and transhumanism

From: Chuck Kuecker (ckuecker@mcs.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 11:04:17 MDT

At 04:53 PM 6/6/01 +0200, KPJ wrote:

>Who "made" them "to be eaten", according to your religion, then?
>
>+ Its called
>|the food chain. If we don't eat them other predators will.
>
>Your reasoning circuits malfunction.

I can't resist...

The majority of "food" animals on this planet have been selectively bred
over hundreds of years for the purpose of slaughter and consumption. It's
their "reason for existence". No one is going to preserve these species
(aside from "collectors") if the demand for their meat ends. I have read
that one aim of some "animal rights" organizations is to promote the
extinction of these species, to prevent their being eaten. I guess you
would call that killing them to save them. That's a whole 'nother subject...

There are no "predators" involved in food animal production other than the
occasional wolf or coyote. The herds will disappear as the demand drops,
should enough people become vegetarians. They will either be killed by the
breeders, as it costs money to keep them alive, or they will simply not be
bred, as in the case of several species of domestic birds that became near
extinct due to the popularity of mass produced chicken.

Chuck Kuecker