Re: Hate IRC? Was: Hate mail anyone?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 02:06:01 MDT

"J. R. Molloy" wrote:

> Eliezer S. Yudkowsky explained,
> >From the perspective of a normative reasoning system,
> > humans, who "want" something to be true - not true in the future, but true
> > in the present - and who make up reasons to believe something they "want
> > to believe" - well, they're pretty much insane.
>
> Right on, and since this includes most humans, it makes clear the urgency to
> initiate a phase transition.

It includes YOU. Unless you want to believe otherwise, of course.

> > To the extent that any human being is sane or saner - perhaps due to
> > studying evolutionary psychology - it is a sane personality built from
> > insane components.
>
> If we had to choose between sanity and friendliness in AI, we go for sanity,
> yes?

If you have to choose between sanity and friendliness in AI, you are
thoroughly screwed from yea the very get-go. Start over with an entirely
de-novo theory of Friendly AI or find a different profession.

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://singinst.org/