Re: definitions of individualism

From: Skye Howard (skyezacharia@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 17:35:16 MST

     I think that this reminds me a great deal of the argument about
chance versus determinism, where from one point of view the whole of
the univers could (in theory) be extrapolated out from it's physical
laws, and the other says that you couldn't- that chance or free will
or whatever plays a role.
     The question of whether you are more a part of a social organism
or more a unit of your own is seemingly irrelevant. For from either
viewpoint you can see a method by which it can alter the whole. It is
my own surmisal that there are individuals who have enacted
manipulation of the societal organism, and also that the social
organism has altered the state of individuals. I think that the
social organism has evolved where the individual peices can react to
stimuli and transmit it to the organic mechani independantly-that the
two are indistinguishable or equally true. I think you could really
build an accurate model from either view, and that it might not be so
much a distinction of reality as a distinction of personal opinion. I
am, however _extremely_ open to correction