Re: ECON: Advertising

From: Michael S. Lorrey (retroman@together.net)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 07:02:01 MST

Alexander 'Sasha' Chislenko wrote:

> I would think that gift-giving is an extremely old tradition,
> but much of these gifts came as personal services (I fix
> your fence or feed you), or hand-made memorable things.

Christmas as it is currently practiced is almost entirely the result of
advertising. The day was picked because it was the Saturnalia of the
pagans, so as to help rub out vestiges of the old religion, but it was
still treated as a day to party hard and fornicate for hundreds of
years. The current gift giving family oriented Christmas was the result
of propaganda campaigns in the early 1800's in the early newsprint.