Re: Affective mental "illnesses" and Super-Intelligence

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 17:42:17 MST

Billy Brown wrote:

> OTOH, I doubt that such studies will have much relevance to intelligence
> enhancement. It doesn't look like biotech is moving fast enough for that.

Nothing but the FDA and lack of funding prevents me from using existing
neural stimulation* technology and the Algernic bank shot** to start
enhancing intelligence tomorrow.

>From my own case, though, I'd say at least 11 years to useful help and
16 years to real power.

* = Medtronic's Aptiva

** = off the localizable emotions in the limbic system to stimulation of
their corresponding intellectual abilities.

--
        sentience@pobox.com         Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
         http://pobox.com/~sentience/AI_design.temp.html