Re: Ayn Rand on Society (Finally!)

From: Dick.Gray@bull.com
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 09:23:48 MST

Terry writes:
<<
This is horribly out of context, but here goes:

"Since there is no such entity as 'society,' since society is only a
number of individual men, this meant, in practice, that the rulers of
society were exempt from moral law;..."
          - Appendix: Man's Rights
          Capitalism: The Unknown Undeal

Now that I've reread it I see that she's just giving her own
definition of society, but I knew I had seen something about no such
thing as society.

Right, notice the wording: "no such entity". She was reminding us that
society has no independent, concrete existence, contrary to the hoary
fashion of reifying, and ultimately deifying, the idea. Encouraging our
tendency to "thingize" groups, particularly "society", "community",
"government" and so forth, has allowed the power freaks to get away with
murder (literally, in many cases). They know that most people won't take
the trouble to examine the fallacies to which we're prone.

Dick