Re: Extropian projects and popularity - call for action.

From: Alexander 'Sasha' Chislenko (sasha1@netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jan 16 1999 - 11:24:58 MST

At 11:40 01/16/99 , Harvey Newstrom wrote:

>This whole preamble to your suggestion does nothing to support your
>case. It is what I call "hype" and "content-free". You should skip all
>this verbiage and directly state what you are trying to say.

I just wanted to say that there seems to be a solution.
Judging by the still relatively slow (IMO) pace of proliferation of
extropian ideas and projects, this statement doesn't seem to be obvious.

I also am sitting in front of my PC with a strong fever, so I guess my
semantics may look as blurred as my screen. Sorry for that.

What I don't understand is why you chose to address only the part of my
message that you called "content-free". I guess criticism of content-free
text is not content-free (or is it content-free of the next degree?), but
in any case it can't construct anything new and positive (and not being a
result of a mistake, probably raises the level of guilt more than the extra
semantic step raises the level of meaning).

Whatever.

Let's break out of this meta-meta-nonsense and return to the issue:

I suggest creating a projects list, to use low-cost advertising to promote
these projects and other extropian pages, and also solicit other ideas on
how to gain visibility and support for things we would like to see grow.

Would anybody like to do something meaningful and active about this, like
do HTML work, donate some money, or anything else?

If you have a small practical response, like
"Yeah, I think I could spare 10 bucks to buy 1000 visitors for [Site name]"
or
"HTML is so hard, but I'll try to help"

- please mail them to me personally; I'll post the summary on the list.

If you have another proposal or meaningful criticism, please post it to
the list.

Thanks,

Alexander Chislenko <http://www.lucifer.com/~sasha/home.html>
<sasha1@netcom.com> <sasha@media.mit.edu>