Re: Extropians and animal rights

From: mark@unicorn.com
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 11:16:20 MST

Robin Hanson [hanson@econ.berkeley.edu] wrote:
>So unless you do something else in switching from meat to veggies, like
>donating money to charities that raise cows which are never killed, the
>direct effect of switching is to reduce the number of cows who ever live.

I've had this discussion with militant vegetarians before; their argument
seems to be that they're so concerned about the welfare of cows that they'd
rather see them extinct than used for food (and I'm not paraphrasing, that's
what I finally get out of most of them if I keep pushing hard enough).
Personally I find that idea totally irrational, but that won't convince
them of anything.

    Mark