Hire a Future-Savvy Economist

From: Robin Hanson (hanson@econ.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 17:17:56 MST

On the "it can't hurt to ask" theory, here's my plea:
Hire me! (Resume at: http://hanson.berkeley.edu/vita.html)

I'm on the academic job market now, and within two months
I'll decide where I'll spend the next six years plus. I
just did conference interviews with 19 schools (UC Berkeley,
Columbia U, U Michigan, UT Austin, Vanderbilt U, U Maryland,
U Arizona, Case West Res U, U. St. Thomas, SUNY Stony Brook,
U Illinois Chicago, George Mason U, U Wisconsin Whitewater,
Indiana U So Bend, U Mississippi, UT Arlington, U Arkansas
Fayetteville, U No Dakota, Naval Postgrad School) and where
I end up at will determine a lot about my research career.

Now what I'd really *love* to research is "economics of future
technologies" (see http://hanson.berkeley.edu/econofsf.html).
However, while I have allowed myself to spend some time on
this recently, that will soon end if I get a standard academic
job. My time will be filled up with teaching, family, and
building a reputation in some more established research area.

So if you'd like to see me spend time on future economics,
help someone invent a position for me somewhere, say where
I spend half my time doing whatever they want, and half my
time following my research interests. Yeah, it's a long
shot, but it can't hurt to ask, can it?

Robin Hanson
hanson@econ.berkeley.edu http://hanson.berkeley.edu/
RWJF Health Policy Scholar FAX: 510-643-8614
140 Warren Hall, UC Berkeley, CA 94720-7360 510-643-1884