Re: Major Technologies

From: mark@unicorn.com
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 09:12:45 MST

Samael [Samael@dial.pipex.com] wrote:
>I agree with you. Out intelligence would almost certianly be similar, our
>emotions, on the other hand, may well be very, very different.

Oh, almost certainly; we have a lot of baggage related to our evolution as
pack animals which aliens may or may not have. But any other technological
species will probably have to adopt the scientific method to get there, and
will have similar philosophical concerns, etc. Non-technological aliens
could be very different to the average human; though possibly not that
different from some 'insane' humans.

Personally I think that 'alien-ness' is more a software issue than hardware;
I've known a few clinically crazy people and they're far more alien to me
than most extraterrestrial life in SF stories.

    Mark