Re: Abstract forms of property

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Jan 02 1999 - 22:53:45 MST

I think I see what TOMorrow is saying. The FCC rights imply that you
can't set up a certain configuration of wire and batteries on your
private property. If they can regulate radio, why not regulate the
emission of lightbulbs, or walking across the room...

I would reply that your radio waves are going all over my property. Who
gave you the right to bombard me with radio waves? You might as well
dump a load of sewage on my lawn!

Imagine a group of Libertarian AIs, faced for the first time with our
physical laws, and the conflicting rights to walk where one wishes and
to do work free from interference. The solution is to invent the novel
concept of owning a pre-existing physical location, not just
information. Pretty much all the same arguments apply. Radio is just a
different kind of limited space.

When faced with inconsistent rights, create a new kind of property.

--
        sentience@pobox.com         Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
         http://pobox.com/~sentience/AI_design.temp.html