Re: New Utopia

From: Joe Moorman (vangelis_fan@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 12:18:11 MST

There was an article yesterday about New Utopia:

<http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_exnews/19981229_xex_who_says_you.shtml>

I'm somewhat excited about the prospect of another new country,
but also skeptical. I've still never received my Oceania
passport, and doubt that I ever will. (I don't really care if
I do, anyway, unless it becomes useful in other countries) I
don't consider Oceania to have been a scam, just something that
has yet to work out.

I can only speak for myself, but it seems to me there's a
negative side to the libertarian/extropian beliefs that we
can escape from death and governments: We can sometimes want
something to happen so much that we become temporarily blinded
to the possibility that we're being scammed by someone who
knows exactly what buttons to push to take advantage of us.

New Utopia could just be a simple scam perpetrated by an "evil
capitalist" who wants to take advantage of libertarian dreams
of such a wonderful "new utopia."

On the other hand, maybe this one's for real this time. How can
one really tell? Even if it's not a scam, can it succeed? The
person in chage of this operation calls himself Lazarus Long,
and wants to be known as Prince Lazarus in New Utopia. I
certainly have no problem with someone calling himself Prince
Lazarus, if he really believes in the ideals of freedom that Robert
Heinlein and Ayn Rand wrote about. Or it could just
be a way to manipulate Heinlein fans into giving their money
away just to make him rich without giving back anything valuable
in return. The way I see it, I'll probably be the victim of a few
scams throughout my lifetime, but as the real Lazarus Long says,
"If you don't bet, you can't win." We have to spin the wheel and
take our chances sometimes, even though the odds are in favor of
the house. Whether I will invest in this new utopia I have not
yet decided, but I certainly want it to succeed if it is for
real!

Joe Moorman
<mindwalker@innerspace.net>