Serpent and the Rainbow

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Fri Dec 18 1998 - 08:51:28 MST

Brian D Williams writes:

> The trick of course is cultural belief, and the toxin
> (tetrodotoxin) of the pufferfish.

I think it is believed that fugu intestine sushi is a uniquely
pleasant way to take a permanent vacation from this world, that
indeed the tetrodotoxin traces present in the rest of the fish
tissue is an addictive drug lending a particular kick to the
traditional Nipponese delicacy. The permanent psychic break as
aftermath of the zombification process you described may well
be at least partly attributable to simple brain damage: pulse
and aspiration shallow enough to fool the coroner/M.D. and a
few hours spent in the confines of a coffin prior to excavation
by the priest should result to ischaemic damage of primarily
higher cortex functions, probably wiping out a lot of the
personality of the convict, possibly also making the zombie a
good deal more docile. Maybe the drug administred is
multicomponent, and includes neuroprotectants as well?
Certain people would be sure interested...

I also seem to (dimly) remember an African practice of dosing
unsuspecting husbands meals with a plant poison (calabaro bean?)
resulting in permanent lossage of memory (like a Korsakoff patient?),
but I forgot all the details. Hmm, let me try to recollect what I was
going to say...<snip>, <snip>.. it's gone... huh... what...?

'gene