Re: MEMS: Brains, Uploads, and Limbless Bodies

From: Hal Finney (hal@rain.org)
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 12:06:13 MST

Anders Sandberg, <asa@nada.kth.se>, writes, responding to Ken Meyering's
proposal to use quantum teleportation based comm systems:
> What is the need of quantum in all this? Why can't you use ordinary
> telemetry?

Yes, I thought we debunked this whole "quantum teleportation" idea back in
late October. It is not a magical form of telemetry; it requires sending
ordinary, everyday information via photons or other particles in order
to work. All the "quantum" part means is that normally unobservable
internal quantum states can be transmitted (at the cost of destroying
the quantum state of the sender). But there is no evidence that this
internal quantum state has any biological relevance.

Hal