Tastes In Music (Was: Extropian Music?)

From: E. Shaun Russell (e_shaun@uniserve.com)
Date: Tue Dec 15 1998 - 12:22:48 MST

Joe Moorman wrote:

>>I'm extremely curious what [the list] would classify as "Extropian Music".
>
>I think a lot (but not all) of the music by Rush would classify as
>extropian. Another musician that I think it would be very easy to like for
>extropians would be Vangelis, because a) there are generally no lyrics at
>all, so no anti-extropian ideas are expressed, b) his music is beautiful
>(to me), and c) he makes very creative use of the musical technology
>(synthesizers, etc.). Check out the album Direct by Vangelis.

        Yes, I have enjoyed Rush's music for many years...particularly
their mid-'70's albums such as _2112_, _A Farewell To Kings_, and
_Hemispheres_. Both the music and the lyrics to these albums are of high
quality. The drummer\lyricist, Neal Peart, is a self-proclaimed
objectivist and has often combined his Randian inspiration with science
fiction concepts. Other music which has inspired me is (as mentioned
previously) Mike Oldfield's _The Songs Of Distant Earth_, as well as
_Incantations_ and _Tubular Bells III_. Also, artists like Terje Rypdal,
Mahavishnu Orchestra, David Torn and Peter Hammill all strive to break out
of musical preconceptions. All of them have three things in common:
passion, focus and ability. Again, these are just a few of *my* tastes in
music, and may not appeal to the majority of the list, yet they do have
qualities which most transhumanists can appreciate.

E. Shaun Russell Musician, Poet, ExI Member
==============================> Transhumanities editor for Homo Excelsior
Kineticize your potential. http://www.excelsior.org