Re: Surveillance Technology

From: mark@unicorn.com
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 13:04:28 MST

den Otter [neosapient@geocities.com] wrote:
>ROTFL. Right, of course a sentient witness *can* be trusted.

Uh-huh... and when exactly did I say that they could? No, I didn't say
that, did I, actually? I said that non-sentient witnesses couldn't be
trusted. Yet people like you would throw out a hundred witness statements
if you had a faked video which showed a fake crime.

>In other words, no matter how flawed automated (video) surveillance
>may be,

In the last year or so, I've had my photo taken by one red-light
camera while driving through a green light, and two speed-cameras while
driving at 30mph in a 30mph limit. Living in an authoritarian surveillance
state I have a very different opinion on the infallibility of automated
systems; luckily either those cameras were out of film or some sentient
worked out that they were fucked up, otherwise I'd have lost my driving
license without commiting any crime.

    Mark