Re: IQ test question? (Greetings :-) )

From: Scott Badger (wbadger@psyberlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 13 1998 - 20:46:16 MST

-----Original Message-----
From: xebec <xebec@home.com>
To: extropians@extropy.com <extropians@extropy.com>
Date: Sunday, December 13, 1998 6:07 PM
Subject: IQ test question? (Greetings :-) )

> I've never taken a direct "IQ Test" in my 22 years of existance,
>and I was wondering is there any time in the standard U.S.A
>school system (K-12) that I would have been fed an actual
>"accepted" IQ test? -- and if so, can I get the results?.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John Heritage

Results of IQ tests that are administered should be available
to you now that you're "of age". Just show up and demand
them but it'll probably have to be in person, I imagine. If you
want an IQ test at this point, seek out a School Psychologist
who does intelligence testing on a regular basis (call your
local school district). Or if you've taken the SAT, LSAT,
MCAT, etc., you may be able to find some correlation values
with the WAIS (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale) IQ scores.
There are some on-line IQ tests but they're only rough
estimates, of course. They're much more valid when
administered one-on-one (or so they tell me).

Keep in mind though that IQ tests are broken down into
Verbal and Performance domains, and as Natasha was
saying, there may be such a thing as multiple intelligences.
Even so, it is my understanding that Gardner's theories are
not gaining broad support. Robert Sternberg appears to
be "the man" when it comes to intelligence theories in
contemporary psychology.

Scott