Re: urban legends

From: Dan Clemmensen (Dan@Clemmensen.ShireNet.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 17:45:09 MST

Spike Jones wrote:
> on an unrelated: we have heard the halloween horror stories of

> razor blades in apples, poisoned or drugged candy, etc, which
> have all the earmarks of urban legends. does anyone here know
> of a proven case, that can be pinned to a name, a place, a time,
> when poisoned/drugged/bladed treats were given to
> children at halloween? a friend says a foaf knew of such a
> case, but i now think it is 100% urban legend... spike

I did an AltaVista on "urban legends" as a point of departure. I
recall seeing a very professional site last year, but couldn't find it.
However, I did find
    http://www.snopes.com/
and followed its "halloween" link.

The legend is essentially false, but a father did kill his own
kid with poisoned candy on Halloween, attempting to make it look
like somebody else did it, probably to collect the insurance.