peanuts improve lipoproteins

From: Doug Skrecky (oberon@vcn.bc.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 21:08:40 MST

"Low Fat-monosaturated Rich Diets Containing High-oleic Peanuts Improve
Serum Lipoprotein Profiles."
Lipids 32(7): 687-695 Jul 1997

Abstract:

  Postmenopausal hypercholesterolemic women are at risk for cardiovascular
disease and are encouraged to follow low-fat (LF) (< or = 30% energy)
diets. However, these diets may have undesirable effects on high density
lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), apolipoprotein A-I (apo A-I) and
triglycerides, whereas diets high in monosaturated fats do not. Twenty
postmenopausal hypercholesterolemic women previously consuming high-fat
diets (34% energy) were placed on a low fat-monosaturated rich diet (LFMR:
26% 14% energy, respectively) for 6 mon. Sixteen women already eating LF
diets (24% energy) were also followed to monitor variations in serum lipids
due to seasonal variations. Twenty-five women successfully completely the
study (LFMR = 12, LF = 13). Serum cholesterol decreased 10% (264 to 238
mg/dl, P< or = 0.01) and low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C)
decreased 12% (182 to 161 mg/dl, P < or = 0.01) in the LFMR group, but did
not change in the LF group. The reduction in serum cholesterol in the LFMR
group was greater than estimated by predictive formulas. Serum
triglycerides and apo A-I did not change in both groups, but only the LFMR
group showed a trend toward toward beneficial changes in LDL-C/HDL-C and
apo A-Vapo B ratios. Overall, the LFMR was well tolerated and resulted and
resulted in an improved serum lipid and apolipprotein profile.