Re: The Education Function

From: Andrew Ducker (samael@dial.pipex.com)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 16:39:19 MST

-----Original Message-----
From: Zenarchy <jr@shasta.com>
To: extropians@extropy.com <extropians@extropy.com>
Date: 07 December 1998 23:24
Subject: Re: The Education Function

>>> People
>>>too poor to get onto the circuit in the first place have too much time on
>>>their hands, and consequently have too many kids, which amplifies the
>>>problem in the last place.
>>
>>So educate them. Get them onto the circuit and then let them get on with
>>it.
>
>They don't want education. They want guns, drugs, sex, and your head on a
>stick.

You're obviously talking to different poor people to me.

>>> The free market provides a better solution by discouraging the very
>>poorest from having children.
>>

>>Or at least making sure that those children never get an education,
leaving
>>a convenient underclass to do all the dirty work.
>
>The free market does that? Really?
>I don't think so.

I agree that people should pay for their mistakes, but nearly everyone
believes that children aren;t responsible. Forcing them to miss school
because their parents don't have the money to send them there is the worst
kind of stupidity and maliciousness.

Samael