Re: Nucleus Accumbens Transplant

From: mark@unicorn.com
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 10:55:24 MST

Zenarchy [J.R.Molloy@shasta.com] wrote:
>Penrose and his pals theorize that the uncertainty principle has some
>connection to what some call /free will/... and since free will can't exist
>unless indeterminability exists, then human free will depends on this
>uncertainty which occurs (or obtains) at the level of physics where quantum
>effects make a difference.

Why does free will require indeterminability? As far as I'm concerned, it
only requires that *I* can't determine my future actions, and it's quite
clear that no deterministic computer can accurately determine its future
actions because it quickly hits the infinite regress of trying to model
itself. That another, larger, computer could accurately model it and predict
its future actions is irrelevant.

    Mark