Re: cryonics question

From: Peter Passaro (ocsrazor@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Nov 08 1998 - 21:02:09 MST

 Josh Glasstetter wrote:
> does anyone understand how a human embryo can be cryopreserved, revived,
> inserted into a uterus, and then develop naturally? it seems to me that
if
> cryopreservation is so terribly destructive to human cells that
> cryopreservation of embryos would be impossible...
>
> josh

Its a question of size. The damage to cells is caused by formation of ice
crystals, which can be avoided if an organism is frozen quickly enough.
Unfortunately humans are too large to have all of their cells frozen
quickly enough to avoid this damage. Many smaller creatures have been
successfully revived after cryopreservation.