Re: HDTV Flat Panels: Chip Packaging

From: Joe Jenkins (joe_jenkins@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 14:33:47 MST

---Ken Meyering <ken@define.com> wrote:

> By skipping the ceramic mount portion of the packaging, would it be
> possible to make computer that have all of the ram, parallel DSPs,
> and flat display circuitry combined: all manufactured and assembled
> simultaneously in clean room facilities?

Most commercial grade IC's are plastic encapsulated, not ceramic. A
lot of IC's are available from the manufacturer packageless, as raw
die. The cost differential is not substantial. The plastic
encapsulation provides protection from mechanical damage to the die
and encapsulates the bonding wires that allow a more macroscopic
connection to the outside world. Epoxy cure time (baking at ~85 deg
C) is often something a line manager will cheat on to bring up profits.

> If we put a MEMS fisheye camera in every pixel, this could also
> double as a vanity mirror.

I don't believe there is any such animal, even on the drawing
board....or if its even theoretically possible. No?

Joe Jenkins
joe_jenkins@yahoo.com