[p2p-research] Fwd: It may soon be illegal in US to show support for Wikileaks...Time running out for American Media to take a stand.

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 06:05:14 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kimo Crossman <kimo at webnetic.net>
Date: Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM
Subject: It may soon be illegal in US to show support for
Wikileaks...Time running out for American Media to take a stand.
To: FOI-L at listserv.syr.edu

If Wikileaks is added to the OFAC list (not appeal-able), a US citizen
who donates to their legal defense or provides other support - not
limited to funds would be guilty of a serious crime
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2011/01/material-support-for-terrorists.html

Material Support For Terrorists

04 JAN 2011 07:40 PM

David Cole thinks current law makes it too easy to be charged with
that offense, and that some big names have put themselves in legal
jeopardy:

DID former Attorney General Michael Mukasey, former New York Mayor
Rudolph Giuliani, Tom Ridge, a former homeland security secretary, and
Frances Townsend, a former national security adviser, all commit a
federal crime last month in Paris when they spoke in support of the
Mujahedeen Khalq at a conference organized by the Iranian opposition
group’s advocates? Free speech, right? Not necessarily.

The problem is that the United States government has labeled the
Mujahedeen Khalq a “foreign terrorist organization,” making it a crime
to provide it, directly or indirectly, with any material support. And,
according to the Justice Department under Mr. Mukasey himself, as well
as under the current attorney general, Eric Holder, material support
includes not only cash and other tangible aid, but also speech
coordinated with a “foreign terrorist organization” for its benefit.
It is therefore a felony, the government has argued, to file an amicus
brief on behalf of a “terrorist” group, to engage in public advocacy
to challenge a group’s “terrorist” designation or even to encourage
peaceful avenues for redress of grievances.

Greenwald:

Imagine if a group of leading American liberals met on foreign soil
with -- and expressed vocal support for -- supporters of a terrorist
group that had (a) a long history of hateful anti-American rhetoric,
(b) an active role in both the takeover of a U.S. embassy and Saddam
Hussein's brutal 1991 repression of Iraqi Shiites, (c) extensive
financial and military support from Saddam, (d) multiple acts of
violence aimed at civilians, and (e) years of being designated a
"Terrorist organization" by the U.S. under Presidents of both parties,
a designation which is ongoing? The ensuing uproar and orgies of
denunciation would be deafening.

But on December 23, a group of leading conservatives -- including Rudy
Giuliani and former Bush officials Michael Mukasey, Tom Ridge, and
Fran Townsend -- did exactly that.

Jacob Sullum wrote last May about how the War On Terrorism was
morphing into a war on free speech.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Kendall Hallett
<foia at kendallhallett.com> wrote:

> Interesting questions.  It is indeed illegal in many jurisdictions to refuse 'public accommodations' based on certain 'protected status' individuals (race, color, gender, sexual orientation, etc.).
> I would think libel/slander laws would apply to anybody who made false statements about Wikileaks.
> I agree with Crossman that the mainstream media really needs to stand up and be heard.  Such legislation as Rep. King is suggesting would make it illegal for every American to even donate a dollar to Wikileaks' cause.  If the criticism of Wikileaks gets it put on a list intended to cripple rogue states and despotic regimes, what is to say the 'New York Times', the 'Wall Street Journal', or 'Mother Jones' won't be silenced next?
> Best,
> Kendall Hallett

> "The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry."
>
> Richard Dawkins

> On Jan 13, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Chad Scherr wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> My response to this whole situation is as follows...
> Are there not any laws on the books that prohibit corporations, governmental agencies, and congressional offices from causing harm to individuals and organizations?
> E.g. Stalking?  Threatening?  Defaming?  Harassing?  Libel?  Slander?  Verbal Assault?  Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress?  Publicly Placing Someone in a False Light?  Et cetera?
> If not, perhaps journalists, media outlets, freedom of information advocates, and human rights advocates need to call upon the appropriate authorities to make the necessary reforms and enact such laws?
> Comments?  Thoughts?  Arguments?
> I'm all ears...
>
> Chad Scherr
> FOI Advocate

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com