[p2p-research] GAIA - Global Alliance for Immediate Alteration

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 4 19:44:00 CET 2011

Looks like these folks could use some input from / are on the same track as _some_ segments of the P2P community?

cheers

Mathieu

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

GAIA - Global Alliance for Immediate Alteration
 New Transnational Social Network Union to Crack Capitalism and Protect  Life, Peace and Justice on Earth

 http://openfsm.net/projects/gaia/summary

 This space is an experiment for constructing a new type of
 transnational social network union that aims at bringing individual
 industrial and non-industrial workers in the Global North, the
 precariat in the Global South; peasants, domestic, immigrant and
 jobless workers together with social movement activists from other
 struggle fields, activist/researchers and many others who has to work
 in order to reproduce his/her life and to provide an open space where
 we can connect our networks and struggles to each other.
 GAIA project is an open invitation for inventing a world wide, common,
 grassroots, wiki social movement union that will aim an immediate
 alteration of capitalist social, cultural, and political order.
 Hundreds of millions not if billions of workers in the world are out
 of reach for the established trade union mechanisms and structures,
 they do not have any protection at all. Peter Waterman calls them
 'Labour's others', for some others they are the new working class; the
 precariat composed of people who holds no property and even secure job.
 What kind of trade union structure will be able to go beyond the on
 going problems, and the crisis of unionism that had been born out of
 those well known problems, and will become the change maker of our time.
 Can open space online social networking ensemble a model for such
 future union organisation through the internet?
 There are already many good examples of action and organising taking
 place via the net and incredible results are getting reached, as it
 happened in 2007 when financial support has been mobilized from the
 wealthier segments of the Western working classes for the Ford
 worker's first ever strike organised in Russia since the beginning of
 the 20th Century.
 For already some times online social networking is gaining ground as
 an important and dynamic form of communication and collective action
 tool. Many activists are involved today in one or another social
 networks on the net, as well as on the real world. Time has came to
 transform this tool into a new generation social movement union.
 Therefore we need comprehensive discussion on how can this happen,
 would it work, how would we build and gain legal ground for such a
 union, is it possible, or necessary? How would such union look like,
 be governed and function against the offensive coming from the
 employer and the state?
 'Social Network Unionism' working group has recently been created with
 the aim of promoting such discussion and providing space for
 comprehensive work in order to experiment with Social Network Union
 idea by utilizing the opportunity created by UnionBook.
 With the creation of GAIA space within Open WSF, I would like to
 invite all who involved one way or other in labour and trade union
 movements, environmental justice activists, women rights activists,
 immigrants' rights activists, water justice activists, information
 activists, activist students and others from other struggle fileds to
 join and contribute to build GAIA space together as network of
 networks that can stop capitalism and save the peoples and the mother
 earth.
 Please join GAIA, invent discussion groups on below or any other
 relevant topics and lead the experiement to save our common future:

 Principles of GAIA:
 Objectives of GAIA:
 Demands of GAIA:
 Ethics of the GAIA:
 Management and decision making for GAIA:
 Fellowship of GAIA:
 Applications/tools that are needed for functioning of GAIA as a
 genuine transnational grassroots union:

 Please join and contribute GAIA and spread the word. in solidarity!