[p2p-research] [Commoning] Information sector: a qualitatively different mode of production?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 11:03:49 CET 2011

thanks for the clarifications,

I think we can agree that shareability (and commodification) are determined
by social relations, but at the same time, it seems to me that the nature of
shareability and the nature of commodification will be different according
to the nature of the good, and I don't think saying this is economism,

for example, fruits will grow from the tree, irrespective of how we intent
to share them; industrial products must be manufactured, irrespective of
sharing intent, and so for informational goods; the way of sharing, will be
influenced by some of their material conditions

while it is important to see the importance of social relations; I think it
is equally important to see that social relations are themselves embedded in
material conditions, and that we do not do what we want;

what you posit, that communities determine a priori their way of life, is an
extremely rare occurence in any case, I doubt that even tribal communities
were consciously articulating their life choices (embedded as they were in
tradition); today's intentional communities are extremely limited in their
choices, given external constraints and the characteristics of the human
participants they work with

I believe it is important to recognize a material world, a biological world,
a cultural world with social relations, and how they mutually influence each
other. If you point out that right now the really existing community of the
global capitalist society determines a lot of how we live and share and
sell, I of course, I will agree, and I'm expecting Mr. Verzola to agree as
well

even if higher layers, i.e. the social-cultural layer, reflect back and
influence 'lower' layers, they are also embedded in it, and there is
relative determination of each layer depending on previous layers.

THis is why Marx put the productions of relations as determining relations
of production, notwithstanding a recognition of the mutual interactions
between them

Stressing that material realities create certain constraints, is not
economism

Now, it is true that a generalization of terminator seeds would change the
nature of agriculture, just as star trek replicators would change the nature
of the manufacturing process, but in the meantime, current characteristics
prevail and cannot be wished away, no matter how autonomous your
hypothetical community.

Some people say indeed that economics are primary and overdetermine reality;
other people like you seem to say that social relations overdetermine, which
if really fine with me

but very few people outside yourself would claim that social relations
determine everything irrespective of material conditions and the
nature/charasterics of the goods, and would then characterise any people
with any argument about material conditions as 'economistic'

the reason I bring a person's real practice in the discussion, is not to
personalize the issue, but merely a reality check

if you make extraordinary claims, such as saying that a politically active
person ignores politics, that requires strong evidence,

in fact, that is almost never what happens, rather, you hear a few words,
phrases, a paragraph or two, and that seems enough to characterize a
person's philosophy, invariably cast as an agent of neoliberalism

I find this to be intellectually lazy, in bad form, divisive, and  I'm sure
unwisely, I feel compelled to react, while I should really let it pass

So if I bring empirical realities that go counter to your sweeping
statements and accusations, it's really also to give you a chance to show
how your integrative method leads you to such conclusions, and to learn from
it,

which is what happens in this exchange, where I/we indeed learn more and
more where you are coming from, and thus helps us to see better why you
react and discuss in a particular way

as you indicate yourself, you start from the absolute utopia of a
self-determining community, surely the common dream of many on this list,
including me; though we may differ in judging how to get there, and how to
judge various social forces' positioning

but I would hope that everyone makes a maximum effort to actually learn
about the real positions of people, the reality of material conditions and
characteristics, and not jump too fast to conclusions which are empirically
so easliy refuted