[p2p-research] [Commoning] abundance in agriculture

Franz Nahrada f.nahrada at reflex.at
Mon Jan 3 10:10:38 CET 2011

Roberto Verzola <rverzola at gn.apc.org> writes:
>I do not mean that humans do not/should not intervene. When we harvest,
>we already intervene. If our other interventions focus mainly on
>minimizing the destructive impact of such harvesting, watching out for
>potential threats to abundance (the concept of reliability comes in
>here), and learning how to build on existing abundance to create
>cascades of abundance, then we can look forward to harvesting natural
>"interest" in perpetuity from natural capital.

Sorry for stepping in here shortly without having read the whole thread.

It just comes to my mind that the dabate might be a little more challenging
if it would go to the properties of a humane ecosystem, where humans and
nature realy CAN interact in abundance.

I agree with Roberto that the situation in the Philipines where nature is
abundant might be different from the one in other climate zones.

Sepp Hollzer, whose practise of permaculture is quite controversial, starts
with heavy intervention in the landscape, like digging ponds. Thats the
"ground"
on which abundance can grow. Of course nature does most of the work,
but human intervention goes far beyond harvesting. The idea is to set up
a stable and abundant ecosystem that also providea for human needs, and
this might be a real big deal of work especially at the beginning, and not
seldom a matter of heavy experimentation.

http://www.mastersconnection.com/index.php/articles/309-ponder-this-fish-story-making-ponds-without-pond-liners

I feel very much convinced that at least in northern climates this is a
promising way to go.

Franz