[p2p-research] Fwd: p2p loneliness ? - article : Why ‘Many’ Might be the Loneliest Number

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 02:04:30 CET 2011

thanks Dante!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 7:06 AM
Subject: p2p loneliness ? - article : Why ‘Many’ Might be the Loneliest
Number
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

http://neuronarrative.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/why-%E2%80%98many%E2%80%99-might-be-the-loneliest-number-an-interview-with-john-cacioppo/

Why ‘Many’ Might be the Loneliest Number: An Interview with John Cacioppo
excerpts :

*Right now we enjoy more ways to stay connected with people across the globe
than at any time in history. What a remarkable irony, then, that
“loneliness” is still a topic finding its way into headlines, perhaps now
more than ever. How can oceans of distance no longer be an obstacle to
communicating, and yet a third of us report being lonely in recent
studies<http://www.webmd.com/news/20060309/lonely-youve-got-lots-of-company>,
and the number appears to be increasing?*
*...*
*People interact with more people now than in the 20th century, and the
distances at which people interact are greater than ever before. But loneliness
is more strongly related to the quality than number of interactions*
*...*
*We regard loneliness to be a biological construct, a state that has evolved
as a signal to change behavior – very much like hunger, thirst, or physical
pain – that serves to help one avoid damage and promote the transmission of
genes to the gene pool. In the case of loneliness, the signal is a prompt to
renew the connections we need to survive and prosper. Viewed in this way,
loneliness – either ours or those of our friends and family – can signal us
to re-prioritize how we are spending our time so that we can nurture our
connections with those in our lives who are especially meaningful.*