[p2p-research] Information sector: a qualitatively different mode of production?

Roberto Verzola rverzola at gn.apc.org
Sat Jan 1 03:00:29 CET 2011

> I think that almost all important fruit trees known to the human kind
> are results of intergenerational efforts of selective breeding,

We were not talking about selective breeding. Almost by definition, it
involves human intervention.

I was saying that a fruit tree does not need human care to bear fruit --
the fruit trees that I grew up with anyway, in both urban and rural
areas of the Philippines. We have a mango tree right in our small
backyard that shades part of our roof. And it just bears fruit, and
several months a year, we enjoy an abundance of mangoes, just from a
single tree. In my province north of the Philippines which I used to
visit often in my youth, fruit trees grew even in wild areas. Almost by
definition too, and certainly from my own experience, fruit trees bear
fruits, which have seeds that can become fruit trees themselves. When
these drop to the ground (or we who ate them leave seeds around), many
germinate and some grow to become trees themselves, which in time will
also bear fruits. Without human intervention. Some people may pamper
their trees, but I'm sure the trees would bear fruit anyway without the
pampering. That's why we call them fruit trees.

If it is true, as you say, that fruit trees in your country won't bear
fruits unless you took care of them, then I'm sorry for your country.
But I still find it hard to believe that if, hypothetically, an entire
U.K. village were abandoned by people, the fruit trees there will stop
bearing fruits for lack of human care.

My thesis about abundance in agriculture is premised on my observation,
which I believe is true, that all species have the inherent urge (and
capability) to reproduce their own kind -- without human intervention. I
am willing to concede that a handful food crops might be exceptions. But
only a handful. And if you are right, I am also willing to concede that
fruit trees in the U.K. are different. ;-)

> transporting and sustained care. Even tribal people in a rain forest,
> even though it is difficult to see, often intervene into the forest,
> aiding some plants, freeing up space for them to grow better, offering
> them sacrifices.

If these tribals you refer to left the forest, I am quite confident the
fruit trees will continue bearing fruits as usual.

> I think that topsoil needs human care to be lush and fat and in
> continuous good condition for trees to bear nice fruit.

Well, on this list, that is a very unusual claim. I can imagine
agrochemical firms making such a false claim, to sell their products. In
general, unless you are starting with a desert in the first place, if
you leave the land alone, a succession of plant types will grow until it
reaches some kind of a stable ecosystem. Here, that will probably be a
tropical forest of some kind. Even in the U.K., I'm sure you'd end up
with some kind of a plant community. And that process of succession will
build up the top soil. It is soil biota that make soils fertile --
insects, arthropods, earthworks, bacteria, fungi and various other
decomposers. They break down and decompose organic matter, turning it
into humus. They have been doing so before humans walked the Earth. They
are still doing so today. But if you are right in the case of the U.K.,
then I'd even be sorrier for your country, You're in a really bad
situation there, mate.

On second thought. The U.K. has many permaculturists, and the essence of
permaculture is to create an artificial forest of food and cash crops,
following the ideal forest that maintains and regenerates itself with
little or no human intervention, except to harvest the products. This
tells me even U.K. fruit trees can bear fruits and U.K. soils can stay
fertile without hard labor. ;-)

> Unless we disconnect ourselves from the past and the future, and
> disregard wider social relations in favour of an objective view of
> separate objects in nature and laboratories, the qualitative differences
> between agricultural, industrial (those have merged in the era where
> they have been vuiewed in that manner) and digital production (which is
> very industrial) is not something that strikes me as of primary importance.

Well, that's the heart of our debate then. The above was just banter.

I assert that the differences between the agricultural, industrial and
information modes are of primary importance. These differences arise
from the very nature of the goods involved in each mode, and the
differences propagate to the level of social relations, including the
thinking of people involved in the production of such goods.

If one's family is hungry and one has a loaf of bread, it is quite hard
to share that bread with another family, because you lose what you
share. But if you have a copy of a song, you can let another person make
a copy, without foregoing your own enjoyment of the song. The very
nature of the intangible good is in harmony with the social relation of
sharing. While the rivalrous nature of tangible goods makes sharing
harder, there are still situations that can push people to share
material goods; for instance, if the means of producing them requires
the cooperation of several or many people, then sharing also becomes a
logical option.

In short, you cannot ignore the nature of the different goods themselves
(living, non-living material, non-material) when considering what kind
of social relations are appropriate for particular goods.

It can even affect thinking (values, even ideology, if you will), not
just social relations. To give one example: when working with living
organisms, the role of the human is secondary (the human is *not*
essential for the soil to become fertile or for trees to bear fruits).
Every organism has the urge and the capability to reproduce its own
kind. The farmer "helps" the process, and watch out for things that can
disrupt the process, but the process has its own internal logic, its own
pace, that the farmer has to respect. On the other hand, in an
industrial process, dead matter that is the raw material will not
transform itself into a finished product, without the intervention of
human labor (aided by machines). The human is central to the process of
turning the dead raw material into a finished product. This is not a
secondary but the principal role. This difference is bound to result in
real differences in values (and ideology) between the farmer and the
worker. The farmer "takes care" of plants and animals. The worker
"cuts", "hammers", "melts", "welds", etc. the dead raw material to shape
it into a finished product. How very different actions, and therefore
very different modes of thinking too. Where workers are a part of a
factory system based on machinery, then the worker becomes an extension
-- a cog -- of industrial machinery. Everyone has to march to exactly
the same tempo, the tempo set by the machines. This is where the much
vaunted discipline of the industrial proletariat comes from. The mode of
production itself organizes them and forces them to work in lock-step
with each other (actually with the machine). In contrast, farmers have
to adjust to the tempo of the various plants and animals they work with,
Such tempo are usually slow enough, that farmers have to wait for these
processes to take their course, while workers in general have to catch
up with the tempo set by the machine. These very different modes of
social existence are bound to result in very different patterns of
thinking among farmers and workers. We'd need to do a similar analysis
in the case of information workers.

I have already pointed out that the non-rivalrous nature of intangible
goods leads to certain unique patterns of thought about these goods. For
one thing, social relations such as sharing are  very much in harmony
with the nature of information goods. With material goods, living or
non-living, it depends.

The point is you cannot ignore the nature of the different types of
goods, because their nature often determines or significantly influences
the way the goods can be produced and the social relations that arise
out of such production modes.

So, in fact, sharing as a social relation can arise from several
distinct origins: 1) the nature of the good to be shared itself
encourages sharing, as in the case of information goods; 2) if the
method of producing the good involves many cooperating individuals,
sharing of the final product among these individuals is also a natural
option; and 3) when you enjoy abundance (the tree in your backyard bears
more fruits than you can consume), you might also be encouraged to share
with your neighbors.

Cheers,

Roberto Verzola