[p2p-research] Sufi States Inside The State:

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 09:42:24 CEST 2010

Thank you David, indeed, we did not get the previous emails!

here is the entry on multigovernment a synonym for de Puydt's panarcy:

Multigovernment, http://p2pfoundation.net/Multigovernment

(see also somewhat similar: http://p2pfoundation.net/Polyarchy)

A thought tradition that advocates that citizens should have their choice of
government.

>From an introduction at
http://www.panarchy.org/day/multigovernment.1977.html

" The choice government concept is the backbone of Multigovernment systems.
Our descriptions up to this point have been of compulsory organizations;
that is, the citizens have to belong to the geographical democracy and be
subject to the rulings of the judicial republic. It is a philosophy of
Multigovernment that when governments are compulsory, only those government
functions absolutely necessary should be performed.

Compensating for the vacuum of services not performed by traditional
government, Multigovernment suggests that governments be created to meet the
different needs of men, so any man can find the exact, or almost perfect,
government for him. Man, if he so desires, may belong to no government at
all except the above compulsory governments with the bare necessary
functions. Those who belong to no government are called "free agents."

The free agents will be living as the conservative (right-winger,
libertarian, etc.) would like to live today; that is, conforming to their
idea of freedom: freedom from government intervention. The weakness of
present-day conservatism is that they do not take into account those who
cannot exist, or do not wish to exist, in the conservatives' version of
freedom. On the other side of the coin, the weakness of liberalism (left
wing, collectivism, etc.) is that they all want government services but in
different ways. In other words, what, where, who, and how much. Each faction
has its own idea about which direction government should go. The crux of the
Multigovernment idea is that governments and organizations coexist and
fulfil each faction's idea of good government. Then each person can choose
from among the competitive governments, the government he wants to belong
to.

Multigovernment will present to every individual the right to a broader
choice of options in every aspect of his lifestyle. It will introduce a new
dimension of freedom not yet experienced by mankind.

Multigovernment will eliminate wars. If government's ideology is built
around the individual and not land-mass occupation, who are the conquerors
going to conquer? The Multigovernment system will cause all revolutions to
cease. If you don't like the government you have, you can quit and join
another.

Multigovernment makes the observation that no one system or form of
government is best for all people. One government cannot be all things to
all people. All individuals have a right to belong to the government that
suits them best. The only answer is to allow organizational and social
systems and governments to exist simultaneously, within the same location.
Multigovernment asserts that not only is the above described governmental
method workable, but it is necessary to save civilization as we know it." (
http://www.panarchy.org/day/multigovernment.1977.html)

[edit]
More Information

Background texts on this thought tradition at http://www.panarchy.org/