[p2p-research] Fwd: [P2P-URBANISM WA] update and mission

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 01:42:17 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nikos Salingaros <salingar at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:40 AM
Subject: [P2P-URBANISM WA] update and mission
To: p2p-urbanism-world-atlas at googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

I owe everyone an update since we have received so many new members in
the discussion group for p2p urbanism. Welcome aboard!

First of all, we are undertaking a monumental re-definition of what
urbanism means in our times, and bringing in ideas and methods
developed in the field of information and communication technology.
This is p2p urbanism. At the same time, we are re-cycling the proven
methods of participatory design, traditional design, self-building,
etc., which have survived outside the mainstream.

Our preliminary definition for p2p urbanism is contained in our draft,
circulated to all new members -- if anyone doesn't have it, here it is
attached. Note that we ARE DEFINING WHAT P2P URBANISM IS, so it's an
evolving definition which depends upon everyone's input. If anyone
wishes to contribute, please send me comments, additions, and
corrections.

Tino Rizzo will be putting together a world map with any type of
project that remotely satisfies our definition of p2p urbanism --
please send Tino your own or other projects so that he can put them on
the map.

Tino Rizzo, Emanuele Strano, and Yulia Kryazheva will begin to conduct
video and Skype interviews that will be archived on Vimeo, and we will
be putting together a website for p2p urbanism. This will be the core
effort to situate new ideas within urbanism as it exists today. We
will be interviewing many prominent urbanists, but also young
researchers, scientists, urban activists, etc.

The p2p Foundation <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/> is going to be
helping us. Note, however, that while essays on the Foundation website
obviously contain an explicit political component, p2p urbanism (that
is, our definition and video lectures) will try to strenuously avoid
any political branding that can only be used by vested interests to
marginalize our effort.

Please circulate the idea around, and all newcomers are welcome. To
have a friend join the group, please contact Tino Rizzo
<cityleft at gmail.com>.

With best wishes,
Nikos Salingaros

p2p-urbanism-world-atlas+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com<p2p-urbanism-world-atlas%2Bunsubscribe at googlegroups.com>