[p2p-research] interesting comment on openness in open stewadshipdiscussion

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 21:38:39 CEST 2010

Michel,

I agree completely with your statements below. My point however was to show
that the "open" movement is part of historical processes--what is liberating
under one set of conditions (where there are for example strong measures to
ensure a strong educational experience for all) is quite different where
such measures are not in place and for example the capacity to take
advantage of the opportunities presented by open information are only
effectively acccessible by a relatively small (and not necessarily publicly
interested) minority.

As was clear from the reaction to the original post many/most of those
advocating "openness", see it in the (libertarian) context of removing
government restrictions on individual action/influence rather than for
example in the context of enabling/empowering communities to improve their
collective position through advocay and the use of information.

I think it is really important to continuously link the two positions that
is (the preconditions/elements of support for) equity and openness otherwise
the first issue "equity", tends to get lost in the claxons of triumph
concerning the second "openness:.

Best,

Mike