[p2p-research] interesting comment on openness in open stewadshipdiscussion

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 21:16:33 CEST 2010

Hi Michael,'

we should be aware of how the enemy uses and coopts terms, but should not
accept defeat and keep redefining terms the way we mean them .... any term
you can use, like sustainability, can become meaningless or have an opposite
meaning,

so openness can exist both in neoliberal and peer-driven contexts ...

I fully understand that open data by itself is not enough or can be used
counter-productively as your indian case study suggests,

but surely, saying that therefore open data should remain secret, is pretty
much like saying that literacy is bad, because equally, literacy create more
inequality,

surely, the right approach is to support open data, while at the same time
expanding the conditions for its use and access in an equitable manner ...

There can be no equality without access to information ...

Michel