[p2p-research] interesting comment on openness in open stewadship discussion

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 18:10:31 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Facebook <notification+pjiidwm at facebookmail.com<notification%2Bpjiidwm at facebookmail.com>

Date: Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:18 PM
Subject: Michael Maranda also commented on his link.
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Michael Maranda also commented on his link.

Michael wrote:
"@Michel ... for the moment, we're just allowing it to reverberate in the
blogosphere.  But are soon going to have to have some kind of space.  Ning
is  a bit antithetical to this.  One option under consideration is
BuddyPress

@Jeff I am headed to ChicagoCOUNTs at IIT -- I will have to address your
comments later.  But you have approached this from a very different point
than this was initially intended, at least in my expression.  Open Culture
as I used the term is an encompassing range of all the items in the list ...
"open access, architecture, currencies, data, government, hardware,
identity, knowledge, media, platforms, protocols, source code, spectrum, and
standards" .. assuming a non-exhaustive list.

Openness in these contexts, is normative.   In many cases compelling
openness would be problematic and one may say detrimental to the freedom
implied in the concept.  That is, if I do something (alone or with others)
and I am not ready to share it, the openness doctrine should not compel me
to share it.   Of course in certain roles and for certain purposes we may
vey well wish too dictate such transparency.

There is much more to say, but even in interpreting this from the sense of
Culture in the broadest human sense, and your hesitation at openness there,
I will say that as Culture is a process the natural mode is openness.
 Culture and Ethnicity are dynamic processes and ideas and cultural
practices cannot help but influence each other.

Will reply more to other points at a later time.

But one last point --Open Source itself is Utopian.  It's a direction we as
a culture are headed.  That doesn't mean we'll reach Utopia, but I do have a
sense that as a species we could all live together with considerably more
dignity and yet still not reach Utopia.  Better to shoot for the Moon than
to shoot at our foot."

To see the comment thread, follow the link below:
http://www.facebook.com/n/?profile.php&id=726263503&v=wall&story_fbid=158555554160738&mid=2f6c252G1f7c632bGc8bc28eG13&n_m=michelsub2004%40gmail.com

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

___
Find people from your Gmail address book on Facebook! Go to:
http://www.facebook.com/find-friends/?ref=email

This message was intended for michelsub2004 at gmail.com. If you do not wish to
receive this type of email from Facebook in the future, please follow the
link below to unsubscribe.
http://www.facebook.com/o.php?k=c05bf5&u=528245547&mid=2f6c252G1f7c632bGc8bc28eG13
Facebook, Inc. P.O. Box 10005, Palo Alto, CA 94303