[p2p-research] Update on mapping P2P

Thomas p2p at colby.de
Sat Sep 11 10:58:48 CEST 2010

Hello everybody,

I'd like to give you an update about the P2P Mapping project. Even
though there has been quite some programming going on, it is
unfortunately stuck at the moment.

The main problem is the privacy discussion. The programmer I'm working
with refuses to build a platform where everybody can enter information
about somebody's else projects. The prototype-example we were discussing
about is some ecovillage, that prefers not to be listed in the internet.
Opt-out after being listed was not an option in this case, because of
the argument 'what's once in the Internet stays there..', especially for
data under Open Licenses, which I think is true.

The other option left was to build a platform where P2P projects can
enter their own data (so more like a "Yellow Pages"-concept). Of course
by taking this way it might be much harder to get enough projects
participating.
On the other side, the preferred effect of establishing "links" between
the projects should be better, since by entering their data, they're
more involved in building up the website.

But we found it very problematic to find an umbrella identity, where all
those projects we would label as "P2P", would find themselves. For
example here in Berlin there are many projects I'd label as "P2P" or
"Community Economy", like collective bicycle repair workshops, while
they'd never see themselves as such, but rather as "left(radical)
grassroots project".

And I think it's similar with many projects that see themselves as
Community Economy, Solidarity Economy, Alternative Economy, P2P Economy,
Open Source Economy, Gift Economy, Cooperative Economy, Non-capitalistic
Economy etc... (or not even as "economy" at all)

The  privacy issue might be hard to understand for non-German readers,
but here it is a really big topic. Especially now with Google Street
View, where even Government has intervened, and all German property
owners and tenants now have the possibility to "opt out" before Street
View starts in December (the house will be blackened out).

If you can think of any good solutions, we're happy about suggestions
and ideas.

I still think it would be great to realize this together with OpenStreetMap.

There already exist some great layers for OSM
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap#Usage) but I would say that
until now it's still a bit complicated to enter data for most people, so
a good interface is needed.

For browsing OSM I can recommend www.khtml.org, it is much faster than
the original openstreetmap.org and easier to use. (nice feature:
"ticker" shows real-time-contributions to the map).

Kind regards,
Thomas