[p2p-research] FW: Blogpost: Open Data: Empowering the Empowered or Effective Data Use for Everyone?

j.martin.pedersen m.pedersen at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Sep 3 17:41:12 CEST 2010

On 03/09/10 14:46, Michael Gurstein wrote:

> Thanks Martin,
>
> I'm not sure that I understand the point you are making...

Let me try again - even if a bit quick:

In order to enjoy Open Access one requires access to the means of
access, i.e. technology. Without access to computers and the Internet,
Open Access gives you nothing. Therefore Open Access - if it is
empowering - divides people.

So, let as assume that if you DO have access to computers and the
Internet, Open Access is good for you. In other words, more computers
and more broadband need to be provided if the Open Access argument
should be a good one (without creating a new divide, as you argue).

Then, if we consider that the IT industry is now heavier on the
environment than aviation, thus contributing significantly to climate
change, degradation of water tables, melting of glaciers etc. etc., it
becomes obvious that the proposition above (more computers needed) is
impossible within the current mode of production without an increase in
the suffering caused by that production - that is an environmental
justice issue.

Moreover, the people who work within that industry (migrant workers,
low-paid, the children who disassemble the hardware when it is thrown
away in the end etc. etc.) are suffering from all kinds of problems
(skin diseases, cancer etc. etc.), meaning that increasing the
production of hardware - in order to make the Open Access argument work
- will increase the suffering of those who will have to labour for it.
That is the labour solidarity issue.

Does that make it slightly clearer?

-m