[p2p-research] rants on sociometry

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 12:05:32 CEST 2010

Hi,

please have a look at http://del.icio.us/mbauwens/P2P-Metrics and also
http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Metrics

I do not follow social network analysis very closely because I personally
think it has issues of reductionism ..

Peer to peer should not be confounded with 'flat' network analysis, because
peers have depth and intention ...

though of course, a self-aware reductionist scientific exercise does have
value in illuminating some aspect or other, but scientism often lurks behind
the science,

so the relation of sociometry with p2p is loose and 'instrumental'

it is normal that strategic forces will try to instrumentalize human
relationality in one way or another, but, flatland and measurable peer
relations resemble more non-intentional and non-human dynamics,

Michel