[p2p-research] is the use of an opt-out consent request ethically offensive.

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Mon Oct 18 08:56:57 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 13:38:23 PM +0700, Michel Bauwens (michelsub2004 at gmail.com) wrote:
> thanks marco, very useful ..

You're welcome. Only as future reference of general interest (because,
as I already said, personally I have nothing against opt-out in this
case!!!), I forgot to:

- add that opt-out has a very bad reputation (regardless of wether
*is* intrinsically right or wrong) simply because most people first
see it mentioned by spammers (as in "you are now subscribed to our
fake watches catalog, click here to opt-out")

- share a link that discusses in depth the risks of opt-out:

http://blog.blueskyfactory.com/email-marketing/harvard-business-review-is-dead-wrong-about-opt-out/

marco