[p2p-research] is the use of an opt-out consent request ethically offensive.

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 07:35:28 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:25 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> some of you may have gotten the invitation letter to join a new mailing
> list, which I forwarded a few days ago. These invitations are sent out in
> batches by Sam.
>
> So far, we are getting a few opt out requests, but we did get one angry
> letter from a free software advocate, saying this was ethically offensive
> and unreasonable,
>
> I would like to know the reactions of the community for this, which might be
> useful for the future,

I have to agree with you Michel, that there's no ethical problem that
I can see with sending messages in bulk to people who've expressed
interest in P2P Foundation, and offering an opt-out way to discontinue
those messages. If we just kept sending messages to people who
expressed that they do not want to receive, then yes that is
unethical.

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com