[p2p-research] New blog on p2p Urbanism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 18:25:46 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stefano Serafini <stefanonikolaevic at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: [P2P-URBANISM WA] Re: video on New Urbanism, and the
possibility of joining a new group
To: p2p-urbanism-world-atlas at googlegroups.com

Arch. Alessai Cerqua is quite enthusiastic of this work on p2p urbanism, and
offers us the following space:

http://p2purbanism.blogspot.com/

She's the one who launched biourbanism.org and related sites on Facebook and
other social forum, getting over 1000 contacts in one week (growing), and
may be really helpful for improving the project, especially in Italy. Tino,
as you are in charge as a project chief, would you write an invitation to
join the Atlas and the other work, to be published in this blog also? If you
are too busy I can do it.

Best,

Stefano

2010/9/24 Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

>   Agreed,
>
> I'd be happy to co-publish it on the p2p blog as when it is done!
>
>   On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Stefano Serafini <
> stefanonikolaevic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Federico!
>>
>> Your post is a very good and clear article in itself. I whish to see it
>> edited in the coming soon p2p urbanism webpage. It's good because it speaks
>> to common people about common problems we find all over the world, in the
>> Faculties of Architecture, Computer Science, etc., in the job market, in
>> politics, etc.
>>
>> Ciao!
>>
>> Stefano Serafini
>>

>> 2010/9/24 Federico Mena Quintero <federico.mena at gmail.com>
>>
>> (I replied to this yesterday, but googlegroups appears to have eaten
>>> it.  Apologies if you get double copies.)

>>> Oh, man, I definitely have something to say about this.
>>>
>>> In the free software / open source software community, we have had our
>>> equal share of negative propaganda on the part of both academia and
>>> proprietary software companies.
>>>
>>> Two things have happened:
>>>
>>> 1. In universities or other schools, Computer Science (or Comp.
>>> Engineering or related) courses were traditionally taught with
>>> "normal"
>>> proprietary tools in mind - Microsoft Windows, etc.  Teachers have
>>> refused to use free software for teaching, on the grounds that "it is
>>> not professional enough", or "it is written by amateurs", or "we need
>>> teach useful skills".  What *really* happens is that those teachers
>>> don't want to have to learn free software and re-structure their
>>> courses.  Teachers want to keep their "guru status" as it is normal
>>> for
>>> students to ask them things about the (proprietary) software they have
>>> been made to use.  But if some kid comes along with knowledge of
>>> Linux,
>>> then the teacher can't answer his questions.  Students who dive into
>>> free software invariably end up learning faster than their peers who
>>> don't (as the former can actually read the source code and learn from
>>> real working programs!), and may end up surpassing their teachers'
>>> knowledge.  Needless to say, teachers don't like this and try to
>>> prevent
>>> it.
>>>
>>> 2. It is *very* easy for Microsoft or other large companies to invite
>>> politicians to big dinners and to "convince" them to keep using
>>> proprietary software in the public sector.  This has happened several
>>> times in Mexico, for example.  Being in close proximity to the United
>>> States, every time there has been noise in the government about using
>>> free software, it has been easy for Bill Gates or some other high
>>> executive to just fly down and host a "business lunch for our friends
>>> in
>>> government".  Two-bit politicians are delighted to sit in the same
>>> table
>>> as the richest man in the world - he's so rich, he must be smart,
>>> right?
>>> - and they see no reason to use any other kind of software.
>>>
>>> The interesting thing is that in the long term, free software has been
>>> more or less immune to these attacks.  People can use it without
>>> asking
>>> permission; it spreads by word of mouth.  At some point it reached
>>> critical mass and now you see entire governments mandating the use of
>>> free software whenever possible.  You see enlightened professors using
>>> free software to teach their students and develop nice projects.  You
>>> see heartwarming efforts like One Laptop Per Child - I mean, who can
>>> say
>>> "that is wrong" about projects like that?
>>>
>>> I don't think p2p-urbanism needs to worry too much about negative
>>> propaganda.  If enough everyday people start seeing that p2p-urbanism
>>> works for them and for their communities, there will be no stopping
>>> it.
>>> To convince a clueless administration to do a larger urban project may
>>> just take enough people who are already convinced to ask for it.
>>>
>>>  Federico
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>  --

> Think tank: http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI