[p2p-research] Fwd: Shareable Releases New Sharing Economy Report

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 05:37:03 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Neal Gorenflo <neal at shareable.net>
Date: Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:34 PM
Subject: Shareable Releases New Sharing Economy Report

Dear advisors,

Today we released the results of our New Sharing Economy study conducted
with partner Latitude Research.  You can get a quick overview of it on
Shareable and download the report here: http://bit.ly/ciRfcl.

This is the only survey I'm aware of that investigates new sharing behaviors
and the relationship between online and offline sharing.  Shareable's role
in the report was to suggest the topic to Latitude, develop questions,
recruit survey respondents, and advise in the report's design.  In other
words, we worked really hard on it with our partner.

I hope that you'll read, share, and blog the report this week.  Raising
awareness of the social impact opportunities will help attract more
resources to the sector.  Please let me know if you have any questions about
the report.

Thank you,

Neal

All, I meant to give you this Twitter & Facebook friendly message to
adapt for sharing our new study online:
New Study Shows Social Media is Catalyzing an Offline Sharing Economy!
http://bit.ly/ciRfcl
Also, here's the HTML for the story to make it easy to post to your
blog (feel free to use all of it or adapt):
href="http://www.life-connected.com/">Latitude<http://www.life-connected.com/%22%3ELatitude>Research</a>&nbsp;and
Shareable Magazine&#39;s&nbsp;<strong><em><a
href="http://latdsurvey.net/pdf/Sharing.pdf" target="_blank">The New
today indicate that online sharing does indeed seem to&nbsp;encourage
people to share offline resources such as cars and bikes,&nbsp;largely
because they are learning to trust each other online.
And&nbsp;they&#39;re not just sharing to save money - an equal number
of people say&nbsp;they share to make the world a better place.</p>
startups driven by social technology, a generational shift, and <a
href="
http://www.ogilvy.com/News/Press-Releases/March-2010-Eyes-Wide-Open.aspx">new<http://www.ogilvy.com/News/Press-Releases/March-2010-Eyes-Wide-Open.aspx%22%3Enew>
consumption patterns</a> brought on by economic and environmental
crisis. Two new books, <a
href="http://www.collaborativeconsumption.com/"><em>What&rsquo;s<http://www.collaborativeconsumption.com/%22%3E%3Cem%3EWhat&rsquo;s>Mine
is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption</em></a>&nbsp;and <a
href="http://meshing.it/"><em>The
<http://meshing.it/%22%3E%3Cem%3EThe>Mesh</em></a>, argue that this <a
href="
http://shareable.net/blog/10-ways-our-world-is-becoming-more-shareable">trend</a<http://shareable.net/blog/10-ways-our-world-is-becoming-more-shareable%22%3Etrend%3C/a>

is part of a fundamental shift from an ownership to an access economy.
They document the rapid growth of the sector and its reach into an
increasing number categories of shared use including <a
href="http://shareable.net/blog/work-and-the-open-source-city">office<http://shareable.net/blog/work-and-the-open-source-city%22%3Eoffice>
space</a>, <a href="http://shareable.net/blog/future-travel">travel<http://shareable.net/blog/future-travel%22%3Etravel>
accommodations</a>, <a
href="http://www.chegg.com">textbooks</a<http://www.chegg.com%22%3etextbooks%3c/a>>,
<a
href="http://shareable.net/blog/post-urban-outfitters">kids<http://shareable.net/blog/post-urban-outfitters%22%3Ekids>
clothes</a>, <a
href="http://www.parkatmyhouse.com/">parking<http://www.parkatmyhouse.com/%22%3Eparking>
spaces</a>, <a href="http://hyperlocavore.ning.com/">garden<http://hyperlocavore.ning.com/%22%3Egarden>
plots</a>,&nbsp;<a
href="http://shareable.net/blog/join-sharezens-beta">private<http://shareable.net/blog/join-sharezens-beta%22%3Eprivate>
planes</a>, <a href="http://www.borrowlenses.com/">camera<http://www.borrowlenses.com/%22%3Ecamera>lenses</a>,
<a
href="http://sharezen.com/">boats</a <http://sharezen.com/%22%3Eboats%3C/a>>,
<a
href="
http://shareable.net/blog/neighborgoods-comes-to-your-neighborhood">household<http://shareable.net/blog/neighborgoods-comes-to-your-neighborhood%22%3Ehousehold>
items</a>, and <a
href="http://emergentbydesign.com/">more</a>.</p<http://emergentbydesign.com/%22%3Emore%3C/a%3E.%3C/p>

burden of ownership. With a sharing economy comes the promise of cost
savings, stronger communities, environmental conservation, broader
access to resources, and <a
href="
http://www.core77.com/blog/columns/access_not_ownership_is_the_route_to_better_products_17105.asp">higher<http://www.core77.com/blog/columns/access_not_ownership_is_the_route_to_better_products_17105.asp%22%3Ehigher>
quality products made for sharing</a>.&nbsp;Sharing addresses many
problems at once - an appropriate solution for an era of
interconnected crises.&nbsp;</p>
Economy</em>&nbsp;is an early if not the first survey of changing
attitudes and behaviors driving this trend. There are a number of
helpful findings for sharing entrepreneurs including:</p>
<ul>
      <li>
              <strong>Sharing online content is a good predictor that
someone is
likely to share offline too</strong>. 78% of participants felt that
experiences they&#39;ve had interacting with people online have made
them more open to the idea of sharing with strangers. In fact, every
study participant who shared content online also shared various things
offline. Many sharing entrepreneurs are already taking advantage of
this by seeding their service in contextually relevant online
communities. For instance, online kids clothing exchange&nbsp;<a
href="">thredUP</a>&nbsp;build relationships with prominent mommy
bloggers to speed their launch.</li>
</ul>
<ul>
      <li>
              <strong>75% of participants predicted that their offline
sharing
will increase in the next 5 years.&nbsp;</strong>While fast growing,
this is a new sector with lots of unmet demand. More than half of all
participants either shared vehicles casually or expressed interest in
doing so. Similarly, 62% of participants either share household items
casually or expressed interest in doing so. There&#39;s also high
interest in sharing of physical spaces for travel, storage, and work -
even with complete strangers.</li>
</ul>
<ul>
      <li>
              <strong>The most popular perceived benefits of sharing (67%
each)
were &ldquo;saving money&rdquo; and being &ldquo;good for
society,&rdquo;</strong> echoing the &ldquo;me+we&rdquo; mentality
popular amongst Millennials and offering insight on how to brand
sharing services. People increasingly expect that saving money
needn&rsquo;t come at the expense of doing good, so gravitate to
solutions like sharing that enable them to do both. In addition, two
thirds of participants said they were more likely to share their
belongings if they could make money from it. Brands should align with
this &quot;<a href="
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1921591,00.html">doing<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1921591,00.html%22%3Edoing>
well by doing good</a>&quot; world view.</li>
</ul>
<ul>
      <li>
              <b><strong>Car sharers share across significantly more
categories
than non-car sharers</strong>&nbsp;&ndash; 11 versus 8 categories.
</b>Ironically, the very thing that catalyzed consumer culture may be
the vehicle into the sharing economy. Carsharing preceded the recent
surge in sharing startups, and apparently car sharers are leading the
behavior shift into a sharing economy. The finding suggests that once
someone tries a sharing service they&#39;re more likely to begin
sharing in other areas of their life. With this in mind, sharing
enterprises would do well to seek partnerships with carsharing and
like services, seek out users of other sharing services as new
customers, and begin offering other items to share once established in
a category.</li>
</ul>
report. The survey of over 500 web users was designed to uncover
actionable insight to help sharing entrepreneurs grow their social
enterprises.&nbsp;Latitude and Shareable will be sharing more about
the study in three more posts over the next week. Stay
tuned.&nbsp;</p>
style="margin: 12px auto 6px auto; font-family:
Helvetica,Arial,Sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;
font-weight: normal; font-size: 14px; line-height: normal;
font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; -x-system-font: none;
display: block; text-decoration: underline;" title="View The New
Sharing Economy on Scribd">The New Sharing Economy</a> <object
data="http://d1.scribdassets.com/ScribdViewer.swf" height="600"
id="doc_564988705203379" name="doc_564988705203379"
style="outline:none;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
width="100"> <param name="movie"
value="http://d1.scribdassets.com/ScribdViewer.swf" /> <param
name="wmode" value="opaque" /> <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"
/> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param
name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /> <param name="FlashVars"
value="document_id=38786066&amp;access_key=key-ncernqobxleouduv78j&amp;page=1&amp;viewMode=list"
/> <embed allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"
bgcolor="#ffffff" height="600" id="doc_564988705203379"
name="doc_564988705203379"
src="
http://d1.scribdassets.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=38786066&amp;access_key=key-ncernqobxleouduv78j&amp;page=1&amp;viewMode=list
"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100"
attribution and a link back to authors. Sample attribution: Report
courtesy of <a href="http://www.life-connected.com/">Latitude<http://www.life-connected.com/%22%3ELatitude>
Research</a> and <a href="http://shareable.net/"
target="_blank">Shareable Magazine</a>.&nbsp;</p>
href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharynmorrow/"
style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(0, 99, 220);

--

Neal Gorenflo | Publisher, http://Shareable.net <http://shareable.net/> |
415.867.0429