[p2p-research] Open Source Animated Movie Shows What Can Be Done Today

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 06:01:19 CEST 2010

  Sent to you by Kevin Carson via Google Reader: Open Source Animated
Movie Shows What Can Be Done Today via Techdirt by Mike Masnick on
10/5/10
I had another story planned for our new "case studies" series (see last
week's if you missed it), but with the release of Sintel late last
week, it jumped the queue, and I put together this quick case study

For years, one of the points we've raised in answering the movie
industry's $200 million challenge to us (i.e., "how do you keep making
$200 million movies?") is that, in part, it's asking the wrong
question. No one asks "how do we keep making $10,000 computers?"
Instead, they look for ways to make them cheaper (and better, at the
same time). But in the world of Hollywood accounting, there's little
incentive to make cheaper movies (sometimes the incentive goes the
other way). And, we keep showing how the world is reaching a place
where it's cheaper and cheaper to make good movies. We've pointed out
nice examples of people making high quality movies for next to nothing.
The idea is not that movies should be made for nothing, but that the
technology is making it so that movies can be made for less. In fact,
with two of the examples of cheap movie making we've highlighted, the
makers later went on to score deals to do higher end movies for more
reasonable budgets.

Now, lots of people are talking about the excellent new open source,
partially crowd funded, computer-animated short-film Sintel: There are
so many important points to make here that relate to stuff we talk
about:
- The technology keeps getting better and the cost to do such high
quality work keeps decreasing. This movie did cost $550,000 to make --
involving a 14-person team. But, that's a hell of a lot less than it
would have cost not so long ago for anything of this level of quality.
- The creators used some crowdfunding: They offered up a bunch of
reasons to buy as a way to get people to preorder and pay up front.
Note that they didn't just say "please give us money," but provided a
bunch of benefits for doing so.
- The release is totally open source: They're using a Creative Commons
license that only requires attribution. That is, they have no problem
with commercial uses.
- The movie itself is also promoting something else: The movie comes
from the Blender Foundation, and helps promote their open source 3D
content creation suite, which is helpful for their business. This is a
point that we've tried to make many times in the past. All content
advertises something, and it's often important to figure out what that
is. In this case, Sintel helps "advertise" Blender's tools. It's yet
another example of content as advertising, and doing so in a way that's
not intrusive or seen as "product placement." If you have content, it's
important to realize what that content is advertising. Definitely a
cool example of a variety of neat ideas all wrapped up into one... and
producing a great movie as well.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Techdirt using Google Reader
favorite sites