[p2p-research] Non digital commons a lot more complicated than Free Software

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 11:55:21 CET 2010

Thanks for this thread.

I am sometimes also faced to these questions in relation to the networks of
people / activists I m in touch with.

Another big question I face recently, is that of "non-violence".

To one extreme, for some people I know, the fact of using "law" ( to defend
our intentions ) is already perceived as "using violence".

I can agree with them with the idea that "law" may be used as a violent act,
especially when it can not be convened through non-violent communication,
but has to be enforced through a court, and structures able to "impose"
violence.

I personally prefer a non-violent approach, and try to learn to apply it in
communication.

Hence using law, even to "defend" oneself, may be seen as a way to
"legitimize" certain structures of coercion ?

Some people I talked to also consider legitimizing "money" by using it also
as a way to contribute to violence...

I tent to reply that I have been living in a situation without money too,
but that in such situation there is another form of violence to oneself
within certain societies : the violence of not having as easily access to
inter-dependencies.  I argue that money can , from a certain point of view,
be seen as an information system enabling inter-dependencies, even through
the current money information system creates artificial scarcity and
increases inequalities while requiring exponential growth.

For each of these questions, I realize that I may personally want to use
money to empower an alternative inter-dependency information system.

Can the same be said what concerns the use of law ? Using law to enable a
different form of non violent interdependencies ?

Also seems to be a balance to find between "the moment", and "the desired
state".

"Be the change you want to see in the world"  ...
... not always so obvious ?