[p2p-research] Fwd: Follow-up to Crisis Conference (videos and more)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 02:50:57 CET 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marxist-Humanist Initiative <mhi at marxisthumanistinitiative.org>
Date: Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:22 AM
Subject: Follow-up to Crisis Conference (videos and more)
To: MHI Information <mhi at marxisthumanistinitiative.org>

November 24, 2010

Dear Friend,

Marxist-Humanist Initiative (MHI) is pleased to announce the creation of new
pages in our website publication, *With Sober Senses,* that are dedicated to
following-up on the conference *“Economic Crisis and Left Responses,” *held
Nov. 6 in New York City.

We convened the conference in order to further discussion, if not resolve,
some of the conflicting theories coming from the Left concerning the
underlying reasons for and consequences of the recent crisis and Great
Recession. Although the 150 people at the conference didn’t agree on either
the theoretical underpinnings or what practice should flow from them, we
believe the conference took a giant step forward in the direction of working
out theory and practice. That is because many of the speakers and audience
members actively engaged with each others’ issues; they did not merely put
forth their positions and leave them un-debated, nor did most people rush to
prescribe “practice” without indicating the theory underlying their
practice.

We wish to continue to facilitate wide-ranging dialogue on the conference
topics, not only so that all views can be heard but, above all, so that we
can test different ideas in debate and work out answers to the questions we
are up against at this moment. We believe this is the only way for the Left
to become relevant in the face of increasing assaults, in the name of
“austerity,” against workers, women, African Americans, Latinos, youth, and
GLBTs in the U.S., and similar struggles abroad.

You will find a *report of the conference *at *http://tinyurl.com/2vyw8z7*  It
contains a link to

*Videos of the entire conference,*

*Many of the conference papers in written form,  *

*The program, abstracts and draft papers posted before the conference, *

*The proposal we made at the conference to form a Network for the
Circulation of Theoretical Struggles, and*

* *

*A place to add your comments on the conference and its aftermath.*

* *

We hope you will contribute to the discussion by submitting a comment and by
taking part in the formation of the Network for the Circulation of
Theoretical Struggles—sign up at “Contact Us.”

We also invite you to take a look at the rest of our website, and to tell us
through the “Contact Us” page that you want to stay in touch with MHI (no
more than two e-mails a month).

In solidarity,

Anne Jaclard for MHI