[p2p-research] publishing wikipedia articles for money, is that a scam?

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 01:07:15 CET 2010

On a perhaps related note... I've been away from Facebook for almost two
months (behind the Great Firewall) and coming back I've noticed that FB
appears somehow automagically to have reaped a huge swath of entries from
Wikipedia and established these as individual pages (within their walled
garden) available for the various activities internal to FB--"liking",
"friending", "commenting" etc.etc.

I noticed this because, as part of my re-entry I did some searching
internally on FB (on "community informatics") and discovered that not only
was there a FB CI "group" which was set up some time ago by colleagues
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10811405363 but there was also now a
CI "page"
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10811405363#!/pages/Community-informat
ics/111193338905174 which seemed to have no evident "owner" and was
explicitly taking text from the Wikipedia CI entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_informatics .

Tootling around on other Wiki subject areas I found a number of similar such
Wiki authored "pages".

Since by design the flow of content from the net (Wikipedia) to FB is only
one way and thus any content generated for example, commenting on or
enhancing the Wiki derived FB page is within the FB "garden" this seems to
me to be a very insidious form of capture of the commons for the private
interest of FB.

I haven;t seen this commented on here or elsewhere although I might have
missed it over the last couple of months or maybe I've missed a nuance
somewhere.

Comments?

Mike