[p2p-research] publishing wikipedia articles for money, is that a scam?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat Nov 27 01:02:25 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 06:38:35 AM +0700, Michel Bauwens (michelsub2004 at gmail.com) wrote:
> see kasper souren's article here at http://guaka.org/2010/11/25/
> books-llc-scam-amazon

This is not news, there was a practically identical story months ago, if not in 2009
(and obviously I can't find the link now :-( )

> for me, this would be legitimate, given the license, but not necessarily
> ethical, depending on how the benefit sharing happens with wikipedia and its
> authors,

agree 100%. This is exactly the reason why it is good, as I explained
in a couple of threads here already, to have copyright. IF/WHEN an
author doesn't want to allow this exploiting (and I have nothing at
all against those who do it, I publish things with the same license
myself) because it would damage its ability to produce that or other
works, copyright gives a basis to stop these people.

Marco