[p2p-research] Non digital commons a lot more complicated than Free Software

j.martin.pedersen m.pedersen at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Nov 23 00:41:43 CET 2010

There is something to be said for digital commons being simplified,
rather than less complicated. If a digital commoner acknowledged her
resource use and had to organise that - instead of leaving it to nuclear
power and mining corporations - than digital commons would be a lot more
complicated, because they do not only involve virtual light, but an
enormous amount of resources.

Traditional commons are much more "simple", they just handle natural
resources and not a technological, virtual layer on top.

If digital commoners want to join forces with all the other commoners -
whose movements started a thousand year ago and who began to constitute
themselves in the Magna Carta processes - then they need to come to
terms with energy and resource use and face up to the fact that any
commons ought to be responsible to the earth for its impact upon it.

So far the entire digital commons movement seems to be hiding behind
"immateriality"