[p2p-research] reminder of the las indias trilogy

Roberto Verzola rverzola at gn.apc.org
Mon Nov 22 01:51:43 CET 2010

I found the book on phyles quite interesting, but I would need to read
it several times, to digest the whole idea. One quick reaction: de
Ugarte  write about the Dunbar number (basically the optimum membership
of a community). I found a really very good discussion of these "magic
numbers" (optimum number of people for a team, a neighborhood, a
community, a city, etc. -- actually a range of numbers, not a single
figure) in HUMAN SCALE by Kirkpatrick Sale. Sale argues that there is a
human scale in politics, economics, buildings, etc.

In HUMAN SCALE, Sale also asserts that the most efficient transport mode
of all (compared to running animals, flying animals, planes, trains and
various other modes of transport), is the bicycle.

Greetings to all,

Roberto Verzola