[p2p-research] investment, productivity and ownership

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 01:06:06 CET 2010

hi Brian,

the passage of apocalyptic purity was not directed to you personally, though
I see your radical opposition as anything that smacks towards believing in
positive social change, as misguided

I see it this way, pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will, as I
believe Gramsci formulated

I cannot see any advantage to choosing pessimism as a life strategy (been
there, done that), as I can't see how it can mobilize any vital energy for
change,

imagine for one moment MLK or Gandhi saying, we know you are suffering, and
it's gonna get worse, people are racist, they can't change, the institutions
facing us are too strong, please endure, as it is going to get worse and
worse ...

so, I rather choose, bad things are going to happen, it's gonna get worse
before it gets better, but if we mobilize our energies, we can make a better
future for all ....  we will not get where we hope to get, but if we don't
try, it's going to be even worse, and even in the midst of chaos, we can
have an abundant life, like our tribal forefathers, who had so much less in
material terms, yet had a consciousness of abundance (see marshall sahlin);
the mainl difference is, they were content with an ultra local embeddedness,
while we want to maintain the collective intelligence of global
interconnectedness ... like the feudal civilisation, when faced with the
global dislocation of the Roman Empire, choose relocalization, but with the
global open design community that was the Catholic Church, only know we
wont' be using manuscripts, but global networks

people learn through pedagogical catastrophes, and when push comes to shove,
can change very rapidly, but, social forces have to be ready with templates
and patterns they can use, lest they choose even worse alternatives; these
patterns and solutions need to be recorded and made globally available, and
I think this is the great and vital cultural, scientific, and spiritual task
that digital commoners are undertaking; they are not content to complain
about the despair of an uncomprehending majority, maintained and helped in
their  ignorance by global corporate media, but are vigorously building a
multitude of alternative media and knowledge commons in all fields, from
agriculture and food production to healtcare, open software, open design for
renewable energies, and many more

Michel